Food and agriculture safety have significant public health and economic impacts. Virtually every week there are new reports of food contamination outbreaks. The economic impact is especially true in New York, where dairy is the second largest industry in the state. Food safety and veterinary testing in the U.S. have a combined value of nearly $8 billion and that value is expected to rise to $9.4 billion by 2019. The challenge with current food and agriculture tests is that they take days to complete, and in that time contaminated food can be shipped, sold and consumed; and infected animals go without treatment, reducing farmers’ revenue, and potentially infecting other animals. Acumen Detection's mission is to develop and produce affordable, easy-to-use, accurate identification systems that provide actionable information to farmers and food processors within one to five hours, on the farm and in the processing facility.
As an SRC company, Acumen Detection LLC is leveraging over fifty years of proven system development expertise to create the state-of-the-art solutions that will be used to protect the public’s health, and strengthen our food supply. We are currently seeking a senior product development engineer to lead the development of new products in addition to improving our current offerings. This position will also provide technical support to field representatives and customers.
- Support and sustain current products while investigating and implementing improvements in performance and cost
- Lead the transition of new products from development to production
- Troubleshoot and resolve design and production problems
- Identify, source and qualify components and suppliers, contract manufacturers, and packaging providers
- Liaison for contract manufacturers and packaging providers
- Lead engineering activities such as customer requirements analysis and functional design
- Source and implement production equipment and processes
- Maintain and update technical documentation
- Respond to technical inquiries from field sales representatives and customers
- Bachelor’s degree in systems or mechanical engineering and 10 or more years of relevant experience
- Desire and proven proficiency for learning engineering disciplines outside primary field of study
- Must possess strong analytical capability as the position involves investigating difficult problems
- Must have strong interpersonal skills as the position involves partnering, collaborating and interacting with others
- Must have strong organizational skills as the position involves coordinating activities and communicating status to others
- Must be self–managed and possess the ability to execute daily responsibilities without significant direction from team lead/manager
- Must be a process champion as the position requires coordination and execution through all phases of product development
- Familiarity with design, integration and test, and manufacturing is desired
Security Clearance Requirements
Must be a U.S. citizen, green card holder or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). Applicants selected will be subject to a background verification and drug screen.
Who We Are
Founded in 1957, SRC, Inc. (formerly Syracuse Research Corporation) is a mid-size, not-for-profit, research and development company. We specialize in the areas of defense, environment and intelligence. Our core capabilities include: chem-bio defense; communications systems; cybersecurity; electronic warfare; environmental health analysis; intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; life cycle management, manufacturing; operational integration; and radars and sensors. We are a trusted advisor to many customers and have a reputation for redefining possible® through world-class, award-winning products and services that support our mission to help keep America safe and strong.
The SRC enterprise includes several companies focused on bringing game-changing technologies to the commercial and international markets in the areas of big data analytics, unmanned aircraft system detection, and chem-bio threat identification. These companies all leverage the long history of innovation that SRC is known for to provide customers with the best solutions for their most challenging problems. To learn more, visit visit www.srcinc.com/about/companies.
Why Join Us?
SRC, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization, without stockholders. We reinvest our earnings back into our company, thus improving the quality of our work, our people, and our programs. SRC is committed to providing a positive, supportive and healthy work environment. From your first day, your opinions will be valued, you will be challenged with exciting work, and you will have the flexibility to develop the best solutions for our customers. As a result, we have been named to numerous state (New York, Ohio, Texas and Virginia) and national “Best Company to Work For” lists.
In addition, you’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Highlights include: Four or more weeks PTO to start, the opportunity to earn six weeks PTO total, and nine paid holidays; 10 percent automatic contribution to your retirement; an exceptional, low-cost health care plan with Excellus BlueCross BlueShield; and 100 percent tuition support for up to 18 credit hours per year.
To learn more about us, visit www.srcinc.com.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Company does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other basis protected by federal law. In addition, the Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Company has facilities and employees.